TJ-II:Turbulence studies during transient pellet induced regimes
Turbulence studies during transient pellet induced regimes
Name and affiliation of proponent
K. J. McCarthy, Laboratorio Nacional de Fusión, Ciemat, A. Melnikov (HIBP team) National Research Centre ‘Kurchatov Institute’, Moscow, Russia and Institute of Plasma Physics, NSC KIPT, Kharkov, Ukraine
Details of contact person at LNF (if applicable)
Description of the activity, including motivation/objectives and experience of the proponent (typically one-two pages)
Plasma core fuelling is a central element for the development of reliable steady-state scenarios. Plasma core fuelling experiments using pellets in TJ-II have shown that the radial redistribution of particles can be understood qualitatively from neoclassical predictions. HIBP measurements have provided the evolution of fluctuations and turbulent transport during pellet injection to address the fundamental question of how plasma profiles with hollow density profiles affect turbulent transport. The goal of this work is to investigate turbulence during transient pellet induced regimes in ECRH plasmas exploring the influence of positive / negative gradient regions on fluctuations.
If applicable, International or National funding project or entity
Enter funding here or N/A
Description of required resources
- Number of plasma discharges or days of operation: 2
- Essential diagnostic systems: 2 HIBPs, TS, Doppler reflectrometer, microwave interferometer, ECE, soft x-rays, plasma current measurements, Langmuir probes. Fast-frame camera with fibre-optic bundle.
- Type of plasmas (heating configuration): Electron cyclotron resonance heating (on- and off-axis).
- Specific requirements on wall conditioning if any: None
- External users: need a local computer account for data access: No
- Any external equipment to be integrated? Provide description and integration needs: None
Preferred dates and degree of flexibility
Preferred dates: K. J. McCarthy will be unavailable from 12-04-18 (CWGM), and from 23-04-18 to 27-04-18 (at W7-X, Greifswald).